Key points of convergence amongst Day 1 groups:
- Hybrid approaches (e.g., activity-based and modeling) that are optimally cost-effective and accurate.
- Hybrid approaches should also help reduce uncertainty.
- As relationships improve with the farmers in certain projects, the synergy in data collection improves.
- Must engage farmers across scales.
- Companies can help engage farmers by encouraging them to collect data and, in turn, begin to promote behavior changes.
- Using land use activity data as a proxy for SOC should help reduce cost (the major barrier). Improve how to put together robust data on land use history to define what is eligible for SOC stock measurements.
- For the finance community, the level of uncertainty (e.g., high v low) is not as important as identifying what the uncertainties are.
- Observing co-benefits in tandem with soil C increases the value of the C credit.