The Climate - Soil Community of Practice
This Climate-Soil Community of Practice (CoP) has jointly been launched by the “4 per 1000” Initiative on soils for food security and climate and the GIZ Sector Project Soil Protection, Combating Desertification, Sustainable Land Management (BMZ) in 2020.
The core concern of this Climate-Soil Community of Practice is to raise the awareness of the climate change mitigation and adaptation potential of sustainable land management and SOC enriching practices and identify concrete pathways for improvement and implementation. Its aim is to disseminate information on successful projects in the area of SLM and carbon sequestration, highlight good practices for overcoming adoption barriers and strengthen the case for sustainable land management as a key to effective climate action.
In addition, we advocate for increased and tangible consideration of SOC in relevant interventions and policy processes, such as the National Determined Contributions (NDCs).
The Climate-Soil Community of Practice (CoP) provides a platform for collaboration and peer-learning amongst its members and offers an open space for discussion and creative thinking.
Please register here: Registration for the Climate-Soil Community of Practice
Who is doing what at COP28?
If you would like to be included in this overview, please fill our this form: COP 28 - Dubai 30.11. - 12.12.2023
Events that took place in 2022 and 2023
- January 2022: Follow up event to the October meeting on incentives for sustainable Land Management (took place)
- March 2022: Panel discussion on the chances and risks related to carbon sequestration in soils
- May 2022: Linking Land Degradation Neutrality (LDN) targets with Nationally Determined Contributions (NDCs) through Sustainable Land Management”as Side Event during UNCCD COP 15
- March 2023: Biochar-How to scale it?
- September 2023: Event on Carbon Markets for smallholders – Guidebook for project developers: "GIZ experiences for agricultural carbon project development targeting Voluntary Carbon Markets (VCM)"
Input from Members
We always welcome input from our members. If you would like to present your project or topic at one of our events or organize an event yourself as part of the Community of Practice - please get in touch with Julia.Klemme@4p1000.org.
If you would like to share information, websites or papers with the community, we would also be happy to hear from you. You can simply upload them directly yourself (please use the edit button on one of the already existing thematic pages here) or send them to Julia.Klemme@4p1000.org.
You can find already shared information of our members here: Knowledge Products